I read a great item on a discussion group (The Emotional Intelligence Network) this morning which asked people for the best leadership lessons they learnt. I thought I would share my top 5 with you from this list:
- Understand your values and lead by example.
- Surround yourself with smart people and listen to them.
- ‘Shoe Leather’ – lead by walking around. By doing this you see, hear and learn so much.
- Be specific in asking for deliverables so expectations are clear, but focus on the outcome not the task. Their way of delivering may be better than yours!
- Appreciate the differences in people.
Finally, I would add that it is useful to understand what motivates (and de-motivates) each person on your immediate team. By understanding this and acting on it (where possible) we have a better chance of working well together and allowing each individual achieve their potential within the context of the team.
Image Source: Taiga Company